Friday, September 21, 2012

Botanical Gardens

When I hear the word Botanical my mind goes to a humid, tropical place where the flowers bloom with color  and droop under the oppressive steam.  Nope.  Not here in Scotland.  The University of Aberdeen has a Botanical Garden named Cruickshank Gardens that isn't humid and tropical, but it has tons of flowers that are beautiful in color.  I donned my sweater and headed to the garden while the sun was out.  I didn't realize that Aberdeen University was doing a huge welcome to their "Freshers!," which is what they call their freshmen, on that day as well.  There were bands with bagpipes and free discounts for every business around Aberdeen.  After fighting the crowds, I headed to the gardens and was pleasantly surprised by all of the different types of flowers.  I brought my kindle with me and sat on a bench for a good hour soaking in the sunshine.  Just about the time I was getting sleepy, the rain started and left me standing underneath a big tree awaiting the next spot of sun.  

A little further down the road is Seaton Park.  This is filled with fields that the University can use for all different sports.  I was happy to see a team of co-eds training for ultimate frisbee.  Even though the flowers were great there too, I was more amazed at the public loo on the park.  First of all you have to pay 20 pence to get in to the stall, but the thing I was most impressed with was the automatic sink.  Put your hands under and it dispensed soap, then twenty seconds of water, and then blow dried all in the same place.  I did it twice because it was so exciting.  :)  Aren't you glad to see how well I am using my time here in Aberdeen? 

No comments:

Post a Comment