Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Weekend of London

This weekend Allen and I headed out to London to meet our friend Amanda who was coming in to town.  We took the train to London.  At first it was nostalgic and made us think of Harry Potter, but then the train kept going and there was no nice trolley with magical candies just a cafe car that sold expensive sandwiches.

It was wonderful to finally arrive in London.  Amanda was there safe and sound and we headed off to find a place to eat dinner.  Did you know that Indian food is the norm in West London?  And, even if the pub is called "Black Horse" it will still only serve Indian cuisine that leaves you looking up every item on your phone? (However the Indians that arrived after us managed to order french fries (not on the menu))

Hyde Park
Big Ben
Tower Bridge with Paralympic Rings
Sunday was spent all day in London.  We were official tourists.  Riding subways, walking to every monument that we knew we should say we saw.  The history and the architecture were incredible!  I thought I could look at these buildings all day; my feet however, told me that there was a limit of British history that they could handle.

In front of Parliament
British party hat
The London Eye
The mascots from
the Olympics.
Collect all three!!















The only available public trash
 can in all of London,
so yes, it needed a picture.
Piccadilly Circus Circus!
Feathers!! So many feathers






Our London luck was incredible!  as we were walking up to Buckingham Palace the Changing of the Guards was just starting.  As we got off the Subway at Piccadilly Circus a Circus was starting.  I half expected to see Mary Poppins fly over the rooftops towards us.
Piccadilly Circus Circus
Great weekend and looking forward to more adventures back in Scotland.






3 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun!! However the picture with all of the feathers makes it look like you killed a bird or something...

    And I love that everyone had an across-the-chest purse/satchel, including Allen. Guess I'd better make sure I've got that taken care of before I get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm probably going to say this every time I leave a comment, but...I want to be there!! How far of a train ride was it from Scotland? That's pretty cool that you could visit a whole different country for the weekend--you can barely visit a different state for weekend in Texas. :) Loved the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 7 long hours, but still shorter than trying to go across Texas. Thanks for reading it! Love ya and hope the new semester is going well.

      Delete